Friday 23 September 2011

Wanda Sykes Cancer

Wanda Sykes Cancer
Wanda Sykes Cancer, Wanda Sykes' comedic streak shined through the very serious issue of breast cancer during a recent visit to The Ellen DeGeneres show. Find out what led the mother of twins to opt for a double mastectomy -- and why she's not signing on to be a cancer poster child.Wanda Sykes is using humor to make the best of a scary situation. The 47-year-old comedian has revealed to Elle DeGeneres that she's not only had breast cancer, but undergone a double mastectomy.

Wanda Sykes, whose visit to The Ellen DeGeneres Show will air Monday, is lucky to be alive and in good health. The mother of two with wife Alex tells Ellen, "I had breast cancer. Yeah, I know it's scary. It is. I found it through ... I was having a breast reduction, actually."

"I had real big boobs and I just got tired of knocking over stuff," Wanda Sykes joked as the audience laughed. "Every time I eat -- oh lord -- I'd carry a Tide stick everywhere I go. My back was sore so it was time to have a reduction."

It turns out that breast reduction may have saved Wanda's life. She continued, "It wasn't until after the reduction that in the lab work, the pathology, that they found that I had DCIS [ductal carcinoma in situ] in my left breast -- I was very, very lucky because [at the time, it was] basically stage-zero cancer. So I was very lucky."

Of the decision to undergo a double mastectomy Wanda Sykes explained, "I had the choice of, you can go back every three months and get it checked. Have a mammogram, MRI every three months just to see what it's doing. But, I'm not good at keeping on top of stuff. I'm sure I'm overdue for an oil change and a teeth cleaning already."

Happily knowing she now has "zero chance" of having breast cancer again Wanda Sykes struggled to decide if she should speak publicly about her ordeal. "I was like I don't know, should I talk about it or what. How many things could I have? I'm black, then lesbian. I can't be the poster child for everything," she said, laughing.

"At least with the LGBT issues we get a parade, we get a float, it's a party," the mother of 2-year-old twins added. "I was real hesitant about doing this, because I hate walking. I got a lot of [cancer] walks coming up."

Best wishes to Wanda Sykes for continued good health!

Be sure to watch The Ellen DeGeneres Show Monday for more from Wanda Syke on breast cancer and her double mastectomy.

Source: sheknows

No comments:

Post a Comment